The Matroska Multimedia Container is an extensible open source free container format, a file format that can hold a limitless number of multimedia content or subtitle tracks inside a single file. It is serves as a worldwide format for storing common multimedia content, such as movies or TV shows. Matroska is similar in concept to other containers like AVI, MP4 or ASF, but is entirely open in specification, with implementations consisting mostly of open source software.
Matroska file types are .MKV files (matroska video), .MKA files (matroska audio) and .MKS files (subtitles). A great selection of video player software support the playback of Matroska files, however the proper decoders for the streams found in the files are often missing. MKV files contain video and audio could also include subtitles. The streams are likely compressed and have been produced with an encoder. In order to play these streams a codec (coder/decoder) is needed.
Audio Video Interleave (AVI) is a special case of the RIFF (Resource Interchange File Format) and is the most common format for audio/video data on the PC. MKV files can be easily converted to AVI with the use of certain conversion software that can be installed onto the PC.
Online converters include OJOsoft Video Converter which can also convert video between any other formats fast and easy. With its user friendly interface and fast speed it makes the conversion process very easy. The Iskysoft Video Converter is the easiest way to convert MKV to AVI with MKV converter and add subtitle to MKV. Converted MKV videos can be watched on any media player like iPod, iPhone, PSP, Zune and Blackberry.
Things You Will Need
• MKV video
• MKV to AVI Converter
• Separated subtitle in srt format
• Computer with Internet access
• Hard drive with disk space
1. Save MKV files in a specific folder|directory.
2. Download MKV to AVI conversion software to the PC.
3. Install converter and run it
4. Select the files to be converted; select and apply the required options for the conversion process.
5. Once files are converted, save them in another specified folder.
Dos and Don’ts
• Combined Community Codec Pack (CCCP) is a codec pack with some commonly used video and audio codec’s. It is one of the more reliable codec packs around, with filters to decode most file formats, including flv, mkv, and ogm. To convert MKV files to other video formats, CCCP must be installed.
• Turn off screen saver to avoid slowing down the conversion process
• Close any other programs running in the background.
• Re-boot the computer just before running the converter.