The metric system is the unit of measurement which the world has familiarized itself with over the years. The metric system is the international decimalized system of measurement that is used around the world for calculating figures for personal, commercial and scientific reasons. All countries except the United States, Liberia and Buma accept the metric system as their official system of measurement and even for those who don’t; it is becoming more popular. The metric system was first developed in in 1791 by France in order to have a single unit for any physical quantity. Both centimeters and inches are used for measuring lengths however, inches are used more for measuring lengthier objects versus centimeters, because centimeters are smaller units of length, they are used to achieve more accuracy when persons want to calculate length. For example in the health care profession, personnels use centimeters rather than in inches to get a more accurate assessment of an injury.
Tools required are:
1. A calculator
Materials required are:
Instructions are as follows:
1. The first thing you need to know is that one centimeter is equal to 0.3937.
2. Once you have an idea of the figure you are converting, write it down on a sheet of paper and multiply the number by 0.3937 to get your answer. If you are using a calculator, then input the figure and use the symbol for multiply to multiply it by 0.3937 and then press the equal button to get the answer just the same.
3. So for example if you were required to convert 20 centimeters to inches, you would multiply 20 by 0.3937 and the result would be 7.847 inches which could be rounded off to 8 or 7.85.
Tips and Warning
* If you are planning to measure the length of items and you want to use either centimeters or inches, you can get a ruler which has both measurements on each side of the ruler. This can save you the hassle of having to calculate the
length in one unit of measurement and then having to change it over to the other.
* You can also search the internet for measurement converters convert form centimeters to inches. They are much simpler to use and don’t take a lot of time to get a result. All you have to do is input the figure and press convert and
the answer will automatically pop up.